CS ImmigrationCS ImmigrationCS Immigration
+1 833-327-4664
10am - 6pm
CS ImmigrationCS ImmigrationCS Immigration

Working in Canada

  • Home
  • Working in Canada

TFWP and IMP are two of Canada’s immigration programmes for temporary foreign workers (IMP).

Because the TFWP involves a labour market test, called the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), the TFWP is more expensive (LMIA).

It can be tough to navigate Canada’s work permit possibilities, but we want to make it as simple as possible for you

Types of Canadian Work Permits

In Canada, there are two categories of work permits:

An LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment) is required in order to get a work permit for a foreign national.

Program of International Mobility:
To get a work permit, foreign nationals do not need to submit an LMIA.

With the LMIA, firms can demonstrate to the government that hiring foreign workers won’t have a negative effect on the Canadian workforce already in place. Workforce Development Canada (ESDC) intends to ensure that employing foreign workers will not displace existing Canadian workers or result in wage pressures on them.
The Temporary Foreign Worker Program covers workers who require an LMIA (TFWP).

LMIA is a requirement, although there are a variety of work permits that do not require it, resulting from free trade agreements such as the previous North American Free Trade Agreement, currently called Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement, or CUSMA for short.

It is possible to apply for a work visa without an LMIA through certain free trade agreements. Additional work permit possibilities for foreign employees without a job offer include working holidays, post-graduation work permits, and open spousal permit options for foreign workers. LMIA-exempt workers are covered by the International Mobility Program.