“We must do more to attract students to this country as permanent residents. They are the cream of the crop in terms of potential future Canadians.” ~ John McCallum
Once you step on to the land of Canada, you do not wish to step back and a plethora of international students who complete post-secondary education in Canada urge to stay and obtain Canadian work experience to bridge the gap between their student status and permanent resident status. It is one of the vital steps on an international student’s path to permanent residence, and eventually citizenship, in Canada.
What is Post Graduate Work Permit?
A post-graduation work permit (PGWP) is a document that allows you to remain in Canada as a worker and work full time for up to three years once you graduate from a Canadian post-secondary institution. However, getting a post-work permit in Canada (called PGWP) depends a lot on your course and its duration.
|POST GRADUATE WORK PERMIT CANADA RULES|
|Sr. No.||DURATION OF STUDY PROGRAM||DURATION OF WORK PERMIT|
|1||Less than 8 months||Ineligible|
|2||Between 8 and 24 months||Valid for up to same length as the study program|
|3||24 months or longer||Up to 3 years|
|4||More than 1 program||Maybe valid for up to 3 years if more than 1 eligible study program is completed|
Why do you need Post Graduate Work Permit?
The PGWP Canada allows international students graduating from a participating post-secondary college/university to gain Canadian work experience, which in the long run, helps them to qualify for PR (permanent residence) in Canada through Express Entry.
- If you have a PGWP, you can work anywhere in Canada, for any Canadian employer, in any industry.
- A PGWP is an excellent way to practically apply what you have learned at a post-secondary college/university.
- It is an open work permit that does not require a job offer in order to meet the requirements.
Note- You can get PGWPs only once. If you have previously had a PGWP, you are not eligible to apply for another one or extend the existing one.
Eligibility criteria for PGWP
There are certain requirements to be fulfilled before you initiate the process of getting Post Graduate Work Permit. They are as follows:
- You must be 18 or older when you apply.
- Your course should be full time and should be for at least 8 months in Canada.
- You must apply for a work permit within 90 days of completing your course.
- You must have a written proof from the college or university indicating the above-mentioned point.
- You must have a valid student visa when you apply for the PG Work Permit Canada.
Overview of the application process of Post Graduation Work Permit
When it comes to PG Work Permit application process, it is advised to apply within 90 days of completing your degree requirements (i.e. starting when your final grades are available or your final graduate thesis is accepted).
- You have got two options to apply for PGWP Canada:
- Online– It is the most recommended method, especially if you have ever taken a leave of absence or studied part-time;
By paper – Just fill out the form and send to IRCC Case Processing Centre (Vegreville, Alberta).
- If applying online, log-in to IRCC website and make sure you use the newest form. The application form required to be filled is IMM 5710.
- You will need a letter of course completion from the respective university or college unless you are in a Master’s program for two years or more. In the latter case, it is suggested to include proof of the program length in the form of a letter from your department.
- The other supporting documents required with the form are a copy of your passport and a passport-style photograph.
Note- It is highly advisable to graduating students to apply for their PGWP online from inside Canada and postpone their travel plans until they receive the PGWP.
The entire PGWP application process is not as simple as it seems to be. CS Immigration is the team of expert immigration consultants for international students. From finding the right program to getting Post Graduate Work Permit, our team is fully equipped and experienced to make the entire process smooth and hassle-free.