“No matter how far we come, our parents are always in us, but how good it will be when they will be with us for all the time.”
You might not be able to regularly visit your adult children or grandchildren living in Canada if you live in some another country. Your usual six-month stay granted with a visitor visa is not enough leaving behind a special family time void to be filled in.
The Canadian government recognizes that parents and grandparents contribute to the lives of Canadians in many ways. Hence, in December 2011, the super visa was launched to fill the void by allowing parents and grandparents of Canadian Citizens and Canadian Permanent Residents to enter Canada for up to two years at a time (without having to renew their status). It is a multiple entry visa and is valid for up to 10 years.
Canada’s Endeavour to unite the families
The Canadian government is leaving no stone unturned to help reunite Canadians with their parents and grandparents more effectively.
With an aim to bring more smiles to the faces of beloved separated families, the Canadian government decided to help reunite even more parents and grandparents with their families in Canada, the Honourable Ahmed Hussen, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, on 20 August, 2018, announced that the ‘Government of Canada will accept up to 20,000 applications for the sponsorship of parents and grandparents, in 2019.’ This is 4 times the number of applications accepted when the program reopened in 2014 when the cap was set at 5000 applications.
How to apply for the Super Visa?
Before initiating the application process of super visa for parents and grandparents, you must meet few of the following conditions:
- You must have an invitation from a host in Canada (i.e. your child or grandchild).
- As the host will be responsible for your financial support while your stay in Canada, the host must meet a minimum income threshold.
- You must pass a medical examination.
- You must have valid Canadian medical insurance coverage for at least one year.
The process of Super Visa application
The Super Visa has allowed many thousands of international parents and grandparents to come to Canada for extended periods, benefiting families and communities across the country, not just socially, but economically too. However, one has to follow a certain roadmap to gain the parent and grandparent super visa.
The application process to acquire a Canada Super Visa for parents and grandparents can be done any of the following two ways:
- Online Mode or;
- Paper Mode
All the essential documents have to be sent to complete the application regardless of the mode you choose for applying.
1. Application through Online Mode
If an applicant chooses to apply for a super visa online, then he/she must possess the following requirements:
- Electronic or scanned copies of the necessary documents handy so that they can be uploaded.
- A valid credit card to make the payment.
2. Application through Paper Mode
- Visit the official Canadian government website and download the application package.
- Before filling up the form read the entire guide carefully to get acquainted with the instructions.
- Fill in the details on the forms carefully. Additionally, provide the document citing a proof that he/she is the grandparent or parent of the individual he/she wants to visit in Canada.
The document can be a baptismal certificate, a birth certificate, or any official document that names the applicant as his/her parent.
- The other essential documents to be attached are as follows:
- An invitation letter from the grandchild or child stating about the number of people residing in his/her Canadian household and his/her plans for care.
- A proof from the grandchild or child stating that he/she meets the LICO (Low Income Cut Off).
MINIMUM INCOME REQUIREMENTS Size of Family Unit Minimum necessary income 1 person (your child or grandchild) $24,600 2 persons $30,625 3 persons $37,650 4 persons $45,712 5 persons $51,846 6 persons $58,473 7 or more $65,101 More than 7 persons, for each additional person, add $6,628
- A proof of a medical insurance in Canada with a validity of at least 1 year covering a minimum amount of $100,000.
- Submit and pay the fees for the super visa application in Canadian dollars.
How Is The Application Processed?
- Once the application is submitted, the authorities review it at the visa office to ensure that all the details are correct and the essential documents are attached.
- It depends on a visa representative that whether an applicant has to be interviewed or not.
- If an interview is necessary, then the respective place and time are notified to the applicant.
- If the application is approved, the documents and passport are returned along with the visa.
- If the visa application is rejected, then the documents and passport are returned to the applicant with an explanation.
Once the super visa is acquired, parents and grandparents are free to travel between Canada and their home country without any a headache of re-applying for a tourist visa on a regular basis for up to 10 years.
But initially, the entire process of super visa is incommodious and is a real headache. Let CS Immigration, an expert immigration lawyer make the entire super visa process simple and structured. There is no greater joy for us than to have your parents and grandparents visit and stay with you.