Canada is the most utopian and desired country that finds a place at the top in the litany of immigration destinations, and discerning migrants from every corner of the planet apply for Permanent Residence (PR) in Canada to enjoy the lucrative rights, privileges, and advantages of being the permanent resident of Canada.
Why is Canada a most preferred destination to immigrate?
The Canadian government offers some special benefits to immigrants with Canada PR, to attract number of citizens from various countries across the globe. Some of them are as follows:
- Canada is an economically and politically stable nation.
- Canada is a multi-cultural migration destination.
- Canada offers excellent medical health care benefits to its citizens and residents.
- Canada is the second largest country in the world and has wealth of natural resources.
- Canada is a quiet and safe destination to settle in.
The importance of Canadian Permanent Residence Card
Citizenship and Immigration Canada issues the Permanent Resident card and it acts as a valid identity document for persons traveling abroad and returning to Canada by car, bus, boat, airline or any other means of commercial transportation. Hence, it is always advised to renew your Permanent Residence Card on time to avail its full advantage.
All the new permanent residents are receiving their first PR Card as a part of the Canada Immigration Process, since 2002. And hence, only timely renewals are needed to be applied for with Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).
Usual validity duration of the PR Card is five years; hence apply for PR renewal from Canada in advance of the expiry date.
Eligibility Criteria for a Permanent Resident Card
To initiate the process of Canadian PR Card renewal, the applicant:
- Must be physically present in Canada
- Should not be under an effective removal order
- Should not be convicted of an offense related to the misuse of a Permanent Resident Card.
- Must be a permanent resident of Canada
- Should not be a Canadian citizen or a registered Indian under the Indian Act, and
The process to renew your Permanent Resident Card
To initiate the renewal process of Canadian Permanent Residence Card, you have to start with the application process. A form IMM 5444 is required to be filled and submitted with the relevant documents in order to replace the card that has expired or will soon be expired. Follow the below-mentioned steps for successful submission of PR Card renewal form:
- Taking into consideration the points mentioned above, the applicant should make sure that he or she is eligible for the PR card. Else, it will be just wastage of time and money.
- Go through the entire application form before filling it. Use the given checklist to fill the form correctly, ensuring that you don’t forget anything.
- The applicant applying for the PR Card Renewal should attach a photocopy of current PR card with the application form. In case, you are applying to replace your damaged PR card, you have to send your PR card along with the application.
- Following is the list of other documents, a copy of which you need to attach with the application form:
- Travel document/ valid passport
- Two photocopies that meet given specifications
- And the other documents listed in the Document checklist
- A copy of the receipt
- Solemn declaration if the card is lost/ damaged or destroyed.
- Pay the processing fees online and submit your application.
Note- Citizenship and Immigration Canada recommends that a person with a Canadian PR card about to expire applies for a PR card renewal at least two months before the PR card expires.
The process after the submission of application form
Once your PR card renewal application form is submitted and received by the immigration officer, he/she will review your employment history, address and any travel outside of Canada in order to ensure you meet the residency requirements (living in Canada for 730 days within the past five years) for having your PR card renewed.
Once the entire review process comes to end and PR card is renewed, applicants receive a mail with a notice that new card is ready. From the date of receiving the mail, you will get 180 days to pick up your new Canadian Permanent Resident card.
There are myriad of legal steps and rules associated in PR card renewals, hence it is a process best suited under the guidance of professional immigration consultants. CS Immigration is well experienced to able to assess your case and accordingly recommend a course of action to best serve your needs.