“Canada offers the world a great example of how different groups of people can successfully live and work together while contributing to the great prosperity and social harmony. With populism and xenophobia on the rise in many places in the world, I am grateful for the opportunity to share Canada’s positive experiences of diversity and immigration.”
~The Honourable Ahmed Hussen, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship
The long history of allowing people from war-torn countries to settle in Canada makes it an ideal diverse country where citizens work in tandem contributing to Canada’s robust economy. Myriad of people immigrate to Canada with their family but many Canadian citizens and permanent residents have loved ones abroad that they hope they could bring to Canada.
Family reunification is one of the three pillars of CIC’s immigration program because kids and families do better when they are together, hence the federal government recently made an announcement that they will help more immigrant families reunite by increasing the number of parents and grandparents admitted to Canada under its reunification program.
Family Class Sponsorship – The program that allows families to reunite
One gets eligible to sponsor some family members to Canada once he/she become a citizen or a permanent resident of Canada. This process is called as Family Class Sponsorship and is the second largest category of Canadian Immigration, behind economic immigration. The ones who get selected under Family Class Sponsorship program are called as Family Class Immigrants and once they become permanent residents of Canada, they can live, study and work in Canada.
Who can be a sponsor?
You can sponsor certain relatives to come to Canada if you’re at least 18 years old and a:
- Canadian citizen or
- a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or
- permanent resident of Canada
If you live in Quebec, you must also meet Quebec’s conditions to be a sponsor after you get approved as a sponsor.
When you sponsor a relative to become a permanent resident of Canada, you must:
- Meet set income guidelines
- Agree in writing to give financial support to your relative and any other eligible relatives coming with them.
Who can apply for Family Class Sponsorship?
There are a number of relationships that qualify for Family Class Sponsorship. The three types of family members eligible under Family Sponsorship Canada are:
- Spouses and common-law partners;
- Dependent children
- Parents and grandparents (Super Visa Program is also available for them).
Application Process for Family Class Sponsorship
The family class sponsorship program can be broken down into two major steps that must be followed in the order described below:
1. Submission of sponsorship application by the sponsor:
- The sponsor must initiate the family class sponsorship application. The application involves an assessment of the sponsor’s eligibility under the family class.
- The sponsor must first be approved through a separate application in order to become a sponsor.
2. Submission of application by the foreign national for permanent:
- The foreign national that sponsor wishes to bring to Canada as a permanent resident initiate the application.
- The foreign national must first meet a number of requirements under the family class in order to qualify under the family class program, and then another separate application for their permanent residency.
Family Class Sponsorship Application- Processing Time
The processing time of family class sponsorship application depends entirely on two factors:
- To which Canadian Immigration Visa Office the application was forwarded.
- Type of family member sponsored.
Spouses, common-law partners, and dependent children are priorities and can take about a year, whereas parents and grandparents can take 12-24 months.
No doubt, government prioritizes the processing of sponsorship applications, but one has to meet all the requirements and even the slightest error on an application can result into a failure. So, it is always advised to take help of legal immigration Consultant like CS Immigration who knows how to make a profile strong and send a package that will provide applicant brighter chances to be sponsored.
Documents required to apply for Family Class Sponsorship